Does Glen-20 Kill Covid-19 Coronavirus?Wednesday, March 25, 2020 Care, Commercial, News
Every day we’re getting enquiries about whether or not aerosol disinfectants such as Glen-20 kill the Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-COV-2). (Glen-20 is © Reckitt Benckiser)
The short answer: Yes. But you need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. A light mist will not sanitise surfaces and kill the Coronavirus (or any other virus for that matter!). The active ingredient, ethanol 60%, must come in contact with the virus droplets. Leave one droplet, the virus can multiply and spread. (And the Coronavirus can stay alive for up to 3 days on hard surfaces such as plastic and stainless steel.)
So, what are the guidelines to ensure Glen-20 and other ethanol-based aerosol disinfectants will kill Coronavirus COVID-19?
- Shake well. Hold container upright 15cm to 20cm from surface.
- To disinfect hard surfaces: Spray precleaned surface until wet. Allow to stand 10 minutes to air dry. For highchairs and toys, rinse off thoroughly with water. Not intended to be used on medical devices.
- To kill and control the growth of mould and mildew: Spray precleaned surface until wet. Leave 10 minutes to air dry. Repeat applications as necessary.
- To eliminate odour-causing bacteria on soft surfaces: Always pretest on a hidden area of fabric to ensure suitability. Spray a light even coating on fabric until wet. Do not saturate. Let air dry. For difficult odours or heavy fabrics, repeat application. Reapply as necessary.
Other liquids you can use:
- TGA-registered hospital grade disinfectants (check the label for the words ‘hospital grade’)
- Bleach (need to check the label to see how much to dilute, can vary widely between manufacturers)
- Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (sold mainly in chemists) – again, check the label
- Disinfectants that contain at least 60% ethanol – 70% w/w is the ideal concentration (so slightly higher than Glen-20)
Please get in touch if you’d like more info, a free audit to ensure you’re sanitising all of the high-use touchpoints at your workplace or home, or if you need to organise proper contamination cleaning in case of a confirmed case of COVID-19 Coronavirus. email Carolyn on email@example.com – we have teams on standby in all States and we’re here to help. Stay well.